Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Yeah, I'm New Here, Too.

What's up? Yeah, me too. So...what's with this blog, huh?

Well, here's th' thing: I like to write, but I can't call myself a writer. See, writers write, and I don't do that with enough frequency to, you know, call myself that. I need to spend more time doing it, on the regular.

Enter this blog.

The idea behind Whoops, Fiction! is for me to write for about 30-60 minutes a day, to get myself into the habit of actually writing -- even if I'm what I'm writing isn't continuous. I'll write little scenes, character studies, dialogue, outlines...you know, fiction stuff. Maybe the stuff in one post will inspire or lead into later posts, creating fiction almost --

-- almost by accident.

I could do this on paper, but a blog lets me assign tags and stuff, to create a mocking semblance of organization. That way, anyone who wants to read this stuff can sort through, follow what they like, and skip what they don't.

So. Who in the hell am I, and why would you want to do that stuff I just said?

I'm Andrew. I just turned 43, like, four days ago. I like to make stuff up, and use words to move and entertain people. I favor science fiction, especially the space opera kind -- but I am a nerd of many loves, so maybe I'll write fantasy, action, or even  moody, doomed romance stuff now and then. I'll do my best to keep it PG-13, and fairly safe for work. I think I'm funny, so some of what I write will reflect that pretense. If you laugh at it, good. If you laugh because of it, better.

This post is too long. I need to work on brevity.

Okay. First fiction post to follow in the next 24 hours. Hope you enjoy whatever it is I come up with.

4 comments:

  1. Well Andrew, welcome to the Web. For the record, I also think you're funny--you know, in the "ha ha" kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry--I'm having ID issues. This should show up as me.

      Delete
  2. I don't call myself a writer. Because while I love developing scenes and characters my plot lines are either predictable or non existent. Real curious to see how this works for you. Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It occurs to me that it's kind of OK to work with a predictable plot, as long as you challenge yourself to, you know, mess with it in some ways. Experiment, you know? Maybe a romance seems imminent, so you can try killing off one of the people in it.

      I do a lot of tabletop role-playing, where it's safe to start with a trite plot and mess with it -- or to just stick with it, and get so deep into the action and the characters, that you can't tell it's a tired old cliché. 'Cause, I mean, what's "Star Wars" but a "rescue the princess" story?

      Delete